Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sagada Cave Connection

Have you ever had that feeling that you want something but don’t know what it is? In the middle of this year (2012), I experienced that feeling. I woke up one day and realized that my so-called regular, normal, waking life was boring, dull. A fire began to burn inside me but I didn’t know what it was yet until I went inside the Lumiang and Sumaguing caves...

I was not physically prepared for spelunking. Ako’y simpleng mamamayan lang na nagigising sa umaga para pumasok sa trabaho at bumabalik ng dorm para matulog, magbasa or makinig ng relaxation music sa YouTube. Nang sabihin ng kasamahan ko na ang next itinerary namin would be the Cave Connection, it did not register much on me, only the word “cave.” I did not know what I was getting into.


(L) looking up at Lumiang Cave (R) my companions

The Lumiang (or Lomyang) and Sumaguing caves are two famous caves in Sagada discovered by Italian spelunkers in 1985. These caves are two of the triumvirate Sagada caves (the other Latipan Cave) considered the deepest in the Philippines (at 163 m) and the 5th longest nationwide (at 4000m). (The longest cave, the St. Paul Cave in Palawan, is at 15000m and its deep is at 100 m.)

Google searching Lumiang and Sumaguing later, I found out that it was in 1997 that it was opened to the public. The 4-6 hours spelunking is called the Cave Connection. If you Google search about it, you’ll find more information about the caves, what’s inside and the adventures you’ll experience.


(L) my best stunt that day (R) one of the holes that one has to go through
 Unlike the hanging coffins, the Lumiang coffins are piled up and some are engraved with a lizard which are considered sacred and guardians of the dead of the Ifugao ancestors. At habang nagpapaliwanag ang guide namin ng mga bagay-bagay tungkol sa cave, ako nama’y nag-iisip na nang kung anu-ano: Paano kaya nailagay ng mga Ifugao ang mga coffin na iyon dun? Did they use a rope or ladder? Come to think of it, during that time the Ifugaos did not have “spelunking attire” that many spelunkers use nowadays. Naisip ko kung ako ang maglalagay ng mga coffins na iyon in the same order or manner, baka ako ang earliest coffin na nandun ngayon.  Looking down, I saw lots of big rocks that would require 3-5 persons holding hands to encircle one. I’ll surely look like a lizard if I fell in one of those boulders.

(L) I have two orbs down there (R) I couldn't see what was beyond me

The real attraction of Lumiang cave is not the rock formation. For those who have been to other Philippine caves, the rock formation in Lumiang is not that majestic. The main attraction really is the experience of going in/out, up/down the geologic formation inside the cave without safety gears! And that makes Lumiang so beautiful for me because I really have to “touch” it, be “part” of it.  Since there were just my group groping in the dark, it was a little quite. This gave me time to concentrate on how to go about the rock formations (saan hahawak, saan tatapak, paano gagapang, etc) and feel the cave.  It was wonderful! Our guide aptly said it, “Hindi mo mae-enjoy ang cave kung nagmamadali ka.” He said it twice! Masunurin naman kami kaya inabot kami ng 6 hours sa loob.

some of the stalactites and stalagmites inside Sumaguing Cave

And the Sumaguing cave? Of the two caves, Sumaguing has the more wonderful dripstones. I think it is more beautiful if there are not too much people in it. One can only see the real beauty of nature if one becomes aware of its pristine self. When we reached the border of Lumiang and Sumaguing, thre were just too may tourists. Maraming grupo at may mga bata pa nga. Kulang na lang ng lamp posts at upuan, Rizal Park na.

The Cave Connection is very refreshing for me. I have found the answer to my earlier question. The spirit of the Ifugao ancestors must have given me the answer.


OTHER NOTES:

  • There was a vandalized wall near the so-called “dancing floor” of Lumiang. Either the locals or the tourists did it (probably with consent from the tour guide? Exploring Lumiang needs a guide unless one thinks he/she thinks there’s no need to do so.)  They must have forgotten that Lumiang is a BURIAL SITE. And being disrespectful has its consequences.
  • There are lots of orbs inside. 
  • Check the Saggas website for more information. Very helpful site.  
  • Magsuot ng clothes na hindi madaling kapitan ng mantsa ng putik or wear clothes that you're willing to throw afterwards unless matyaga kang magtanggal ng putik sa damit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment